Today, we decided to take the boys grocery shopping. We never do that any more because of all the conversations we have to have with everyone in the store about who they know who has twins or how they can't imagine how awful crazy our lives must be. But today, I convinced Andrew that they'd love to ride in the buggy and would be perfect because they'd be so captivated by all the sights. And they really were excellent! They got to ride the buggy that has the seats behind the handle and drive their little steering wheels to their hearts content. They loved it! And we really weren't stopped by that many people, thank goodness. I mean, I know everyone loves babies and multiples are a phenomenon, but it does get tiring stopping every 5 feet. So anyway, that was fun. Then we had to run to the bank and the post office, which was fine because they fell asleep and it let them stay down a little longer in the car. We decided to hit a couple of yard sales on the way home and we scored BIG time!! At the first, the sellers were very good salespeople (and Andrew sent me alone with $20) and I was worried I was going to have to overspend because I loved what they had. The first thing I saw was this: Rainbow Rollers. Oh, so cute. Marked $3. Next they tried to sell me a Pottery Barn Kids standing wooden toy that has spinning alphabet blocks (one side has the letter, the other side has the object beginning with that letter). Also super cute (and evidently older - I can't find it online). Marked $3. She said I could have them both for $5. Then she found these refridgerator magnet toys - two sets - one is a farm thing and the other is a letter thing. They were each marked $4.
How did she know I'd been wanting these?! So they came home with us. But, I was in love with the wooden toys, too, so she sold me the whole lot for $10!! How great is that? There was another yard sale just down the street from us, so we stopped there, too. They had a few toys I looked at, but nothing I couldn't live without. But then I saw something else... A sewing machine. Not just any old sewing machine... When I walked up to it, the lady selling offered to plug it in (which she did) and show me that it worked (which it did) and let me sew on a towel she had, even though she didn't have it threaded (except for the bobbin). I saw the light come on and declined to sew with it, but she showed me the knee lever and everything. It was marked $35. I asked if that was the price and she said it was and that she'd throw in the buttonholer and the unopened packages of binding for $5 more. So I bought it. :) And, amazingly, I had the money in my "craft envelope" to cover it (and more), so it wasn't a big deal at all. It's a Kenmore 1951 model in the cabinet and it's in pristine condition. Just look:
Did you know that I sew? :) Well, I do. And I have a little Singer that was inexpensive from Target that does the basic things I need, but isn't this beautiful??? Seriously, though, it will handle heavier things than my little and who doesn't love a gorgeous antique? I'm so excited. I have never sewn on a knee lever machine before and I'm a little intimidated by it being so old and pretty, but I promise to love it and try to use it.
In other news, we took the cribs out of the boys' room today... yeah, we're crazy. And it took a while for them to settle down on their mattresses on the floor, but they did.
Two weeks ago, we bought wooden toddler beds from another Mother of Multiples for $25 (for the set). So we'll be trying those tomorrow, probably. We may end up all sleeping on the floor of their bedroom tonight. But I want to go ahead and switch them over. I can't fully explain why, but I think it's the right thing to do. It will also give them more play room. Andrew and I are having a little date night tonight, we'll be headed to Cheesecake Factory to use a gift card... Mmm, white chocolate raspberry truffle cheesecake.... love.
1 comment:
The the machine is incredible! I can't wait to get you some patterns so you can make the boys some clothes. I miss you and them so very much! The beds on the floor are a hoot! Can't wait to see you next week. I know it is the right thing for Andrew to stay where he is at work but I sure wish you could be closer!
Post a Comment