The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rolling

Jordan is rolling over!  He's been working on it for about two weeks or so, I guess.  He rolled back to front first, and just yesterday got front to back figured out.  He usually saves it for when my back is turned, of course.  But I'm started to lay the toys a little farther away and make 'em work for it!  Aidan has just really started working on back to front.  He did roll front to back the other day, though.  He's pretty consistently two weeks behind Jordan on things like this.  But they both pivot around on the floor on their backs and Jordan wants really bad to be able to move around on his belly.  Aidan also just started "talking" this week!  Jordan has been babbling and actually moved on to trying to squeal.  It's so funny to me, but Aidan's voice is a little deeper than Jordan's.  I can't explain why that's funny - I just love seeing their differences and similarities, it's so interesting to me.  We're working on more teeth, too, I just don't know which ones.  I think it's probably the two on either side of the middle two on the bottom.  They will look really funny with four teeth on the bottom and none on the top, if that's the case.  The drool is about the same and we've got one snotty nose this time (Aidan) that won't clear up.  All in all, they're not too fussy or clingy.  They're usually satisfied with a few teething tablets, so that's good.  But we will be really happy to have Andrew home tonight!  He's been in Mobile on business since Tuesday and Mommy is exhausted.  Great timing with the craft show being this weekend, right?  No worries, the show will go on.  I've had great help and things are almost ready!

I was listening to Christmas music on the radio this morning while giving the boys their bottles and the song "Mary, Did You Know" came on.  I never heard this song until I was an adult (that I'm aware of), so I've never taken a lot of time to consider it.  But sitting giving bottles and not being able to snuggle either baby while doing it gives me time to think (and yes, it makes me sad - it will be great to have Andrew home so we can snuggle our babies while giving bottles again).  We also had a really good sermon on Sunday that has me thinking about these things quite a bit.  Please bear with me, as these thoughts are hard to put into words.  It is so true that the Christmas Story takes on new meaning once you have children.  So I was trying to put myself in Mary's place as she dealt with this newborn baby, all the while knowing it was God.  I can imagine she had moments of doubt or thinking herself crazy because... well ... God?  As a baby?  That's beyond comprehension.  And to know that God (as a baby) is completely dependent upon you to feed him, change him, love & nurture him... that thought overwhelms me.  Somehow I've never gotten to this area of thought about God living as a human.  Maybe because we see Him always depicted as a man.  Maybe because there isn't much said about his childhood.  But have I considered the baby?  As I listened to "Mary, Did You Know", I thought about kissing your baby's face and it being the face of God.  Wow.  How would my relationship with my babies change if that were true?  And then I thought, but it is true.  Aren't we all His divine creation?  Aren't we all inhabited by the Spirit?  And if we could see God at work in each other everyday, how would that change our relationships?  My goal as a mother is to inspire my children and raise them to have a personal relationship with God Almighty.  My prayer is that God will dwell in them and guide them through their lives.  If I saw my babies (or anyone else) as being a vessel of the Lord, wouldn't my attitude toward them be different?  Furthermore, when I show respect for God's creation (and that includes myself), I show respect for God.  For those of you who don't know me as well as others, I tend to be a little hot-tempered.  I love my parents dearly (and mean no disrespect when I say), but I feel I come by it honestly.  So I see God working on me everyday, by giving me two babies at once and teaching me to be ever slower to speak and slower to anger.  Not that I'm always angry with my babies, please don't misunderstand.  But if you've had a baby or babysat or held a screaming baby you can understand at least half of my frustration at times.  For instance, what do you do when your two babies are too heavy for your two arms?  And why didn't God hand down a second set of arms to deal with the second baby?  I think I will always deal with guilt knowing that I have to choose who to hold first and who to let cry a little longer.  But I don't think God wants me to carry that.  I don't think He would allow multiple births if the mothers weren't capable of loving each baby equally.  And if I raise my babies to be Godly adults, I can trust that they will be loving and understanding individuals who will (hopefully, prayerfully) feel they are loved enough.  I don't know if all that will make sense to anyone else, but those thoughts I had this morning weren't put to .. keyboard .. until now.  So I'm sure a little something got lost along the way.
No pictures today, but I will have after this weekend!  Family in town all weekend!  Cleaning day tomorrow, Andrew's work Christmas party tomorrow night, Craft Show Saturday, baby dedication at church on Sunday.  Whew.  Should be fun!

1 comment:

Kathy Posey said...

I wont say I understand because I have one baby not two, but I understand as much as I can. I wonder if Lorelei will resent me for letting her cry while I cook dinner or use the bathroom or bathe, but I know she wont. I am teaching her to be independant an self soothing. I don't think God would have given you two babies if He didn't KNOW you were capable of loving them more than anything. I think it is neat when people have twins...they must be more loving than the average bear because they had to have TWO babies to snuggle so they could give away all that love! You won't run out of snuggles....and those boys are and will always know they are loved. I had a doctor friend tell me once, about medications, that if a person is concerned about becoming hooked on them, they wont because you are conscious of it. I think the same here...you will never not love them enough because all you want is for them to be loved. You are awesome, momma! Keep kissing on those cuties!!