The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Saturday, October 31, 2009

My Plan or Twin Skin & Stretch Marks

I haven't posted in a week because I've been in a funk. I can't describe it any other way. Just blah. Tired, cranky, cloudy, gloomy... and funky. :) Not all the time, mind you, but I spend my happy time with babies and then I'm worn out. But it hasn't been a bad week. I got my hair did, which is always nice. I went with short hair again because, well, I have twins. And I got new glasses even though my prescription hasn't changed in 3 years (praise God!) because my old pair is struggling and the babies are starting to grab. So it's actually been a good week, just exhausting. I had my eye appt on Monday afternoon and Sheila came over to watch the boys for me. Then Tuesday night was ESL that I'm helping Sheila with. Wednesday morning was bible study. Thursday we went to Noah's Nook to see all our sweet teacher friends and that was fun. They were really good while we were there, but it wore them out. They like to stay awake and not miss anything. So we went to see Daddy at work right afterwards, but Jordan was asleep when we got there and Aidan was out the minute we got back in the car to go home. That afternoon was my hair appt and Sheila graciously watched the boys again so I could go alone. They are such good babies. Just perfect little sweethearts about going and doing with me. But yesterday they slept all day, so I guess it catches up with them at some point. I figured that would be the case, so we skipped out on our free class at Gymboree (we got a free month of classes, thanks to another twin mama, that we started last week when Andrew had Friday off.)But they weren't fussy at all, just sleepy.

(Jordan left, Aidan right)

They are now taking 7-10 ounce bottles four times a day. (That's 4 cans of formula a week, in case you were wondering.) We have a great schedule of roughly 8 am, noon, 4 pm, and 8 pm. It varies by 30 minutes to an hour, but it's always close to that. Once they start yawning and rubbing their eyes, I just hold and pat them for a minute and lay them down in their bed. 9 times out of 10, it does the trick. Sometimes I rock them to get them a little more drowsy - or just because I want to - but they have pretty much gotten the putting-themselves-to-sleep thing down. Excellent babies. We're very blessed. They are definitely getting teeth. Hands are always in their mouths, and they get their thumbs in there really well now. Yep, both thumbsuckers. Cute as can be. Aidan seems to have worse allergies than Jordan - he's been fighting that congestion with the weather change and heater being on. He's moved on to the cough now and I hope that will only last around a week. It sounds awful, but I know it's just that postnasal drip. Jordan is working hard on rolling over! We have a Baby Einstein fish tank hanging in their crib that lights up and sings or makes bubble noises, and we use it to help them get to sleep sometimes. Well, we turned it on the other night and layed them down. Jordan pushed up on this arms and started craning his neck to see it. He kept leaning over until he rolled over on his back! Too funny! (yes, I'm that "bad" mother who lets her babies sleep on their tummies - they sleep better this way. and mama needs her sleep. don't judge.) So I rolled him back over and we left the room laughing. Until we got to our room and heard him crying on the monitor. I went back in their room and he'd rolled over onto his back again. I thought, Oh no! This could be a long night! But he went right to sleep after I put him back on his tummy. Thank goodness. He's done that twice more and it's so fun to watch! He's also working on rolling the other way. When he's on his back, he pushes his booty up in the air and scoots around in circles. Also hilarious. If he'd just kick a little harder, he'd roll over onto his tummy. Aidan is just starting to get up on his arms better and also push his booty up in the air sometimes. It's so hard to watch them progress at different rates. It's hard to remember that they are two seperate babies sometimes, and that if we only had one, we wouldn't think anything of it.


Now, onto my title subject. Maybe I should start a new post? This one is kind of long... oh well. (**Disclaimer** When I get to the Twin Skin part, it might be too much info for some people, although I'll try not to say too much. But it is my blog, after all.) I suppose it's because I've had a traumatic and life-changing experience that I think on things like this a LOT. I just turn it over and over in my mind. But I don't think it's a bad thing. I just don't dwell on the bad parts; I'm learning to deal with it and learn from it. So my plan. My plan since I was little was to be a mommy. (Plan accomplished!) That's about the only thing that went the way I thought or hoped it would. I planned to have one baby so that we'd still fit into that 2 bed, 2 bath apartment we were in. Ha. I planned to take care of myself and have a smooth, healthy pregnancy. Ha. I planned to have a vaginal birth. Ha. I planned to breastfeed for about a year. Ha. I don't know why I bother making plans. :) I know God has the planbook and I'm just a player. I know better. Well, I do now anyway. Two babies in one harder-than-I-would-have-liked pregnancy that included several hospital visits & stays and extra monitoring that still didn't catch the eclampsia that caused me to have an emergency c-section that I was somewhat responsive during but don't remember at all, even though both babies were head-down, ready to go, and my doctor was going to let me push. We won't even go into the breastfeeding plan. Although, I still feel I did what I could and am doing the best I can for my babies all the way around. Yeah. OH. And I didn't plan on gaining 50 pounds (40 was the goal) and having scary stretch marks, either. Right. And the lovely pooch I have around my waist - that's not extra weight. It's just skin. I've read it referred to as Twin Skin or Seersucker Skin, the latter meaning that my stretchmarks have stretchmarks. Yeah, that's my favorite.


So what's my point, right? I've just been thinking about all this as Thanksgiving comes up. It's my favorite holiday because we focus on the gifts in our lives. I'm focused on the gift of my life. The gifts of my babies' lives. Even Andrew just came around to it the other day- he said, "That's really scary; you almost died." I thank God that he was so calm in the very middle of that storm and levelheaded enough to call people to pray for us. Maybe that's why I'm so tired. I don't want to waste a minute of my time with my babies. I have a hard time putting them down to play and not staying there and playing with them. (I don't count that as a bad thing, either. Except I get nothing else done!) Let the laundry pile up. Let the dust gather as it will. I have a print hanging in the nursery that was on my Mama's wall for years and years; I think it sums it up pretty nicely. It reads: Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow, For babies grow up we have learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs, Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my babies, and babies don't keep.

No comments: