The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

RSV

Ugh. I don't even know how long it's been since I last posted. You'll understand why after reading this. Starting with the last weekend in January: The 30th - Saturday - we drove out of town in the afternoon to meet friends, Karen & Addison and their baby girl Lexie. Karen and I became close friends in college through the BCM (we actually grew up on opposite ends of town) and Addison was also a friend we met there. Their friendship developed into more in our last year at school and they got married the month after we did! They also got pregnant just a few months before we did and we've been trying to get together since all the babies were born. The afternoon/evening was a little chaotic... We met at Starbuck's in Target and both of my boys had huge poopy diapers that were too loose to be contained by the diapers. Long story short, I'm glad we were in a store that sold baby clothes. They both got new outfits! (I had extra clothes, of course, but not enough and they were really a bit too small.) That's the first time (although, I'm sure not the last) that we've really had a crazy experience like that outside the house. So then we packed up and headed to Full Moon Barbecue and ate and fed the kids and talked some more. It was so nice to catch up and get to meet their little sweetie! I'm just now realizing that I took NO pictures. I'm so ill about that. That was kind of the point... Anyhoo. We had a great time and realized that a 45 minute drive for each of us allows us to meet in the middle. So hopefully we can do it again soon.

Sunday, we discovered the reason for the runny poop. At least, I think it's why they had it. Jordan had been coughing this horrible wet cough all Friday night and Saturdy. It seemed to be getting worse and they both just had snot pouring out of their noses.  We didn't go to church that morning because Jordan just wasn't himself and we noticed after lunch that he was breathing really fast.  He hadn't eaten much since the night before and his breathing was 70-80 breaths a minute (it's supposed to be around 40).  So we called the after hours line at the pediatrician's office and she said to get to the ER.  She said we'd have to go downtown to the actual hospital because he was too sick for the after hours clinic.  I didn't like hearing that at all.  As soon as we got to the ER, we noticed his chest sucking in every time he breathed (don't know how we missed that before), and they got vitals on him and us in a room immediately.  They did a chest xray and a pulmonologist came down and they said we'd have to admit him.  They figured it was RSV causing bronchiolitis, but would do a swab in the morning.  So we were admitted and in a room by 6:30pm.  They took good care of us, but we were told it could be a day or it could be a week.  So I stayed that night with J and let Andrew take A home.  The swab came back the next day positive for RSV and Aidan got the same results from his test in the pediatrician's office Monday morning.  We never thought it would really take all week to get him back to par.  But he got a little better and then a lot worse and rebounded quickly again.  It was very frustrating, but we had very sweet nurses.  Andrew ended up taking the whole week off and we alternated spending the night at the hospital and home until around Thursday when I really thought I was going to lose it.  The charge nurse agreed to let all 4 of us stay in Jordan's room and we did for three nights.  Andrew's mom came and helped and kept Aidan at the house some.  My mom came down for a couple days and then she and Daddy came down on Saturday for a few hours to let us get out for lunch.  Then came the weekend and I let Andrew take Aidan back home again Sunday night.  Jordan was off the oxygen all day Sunday and Monday, but couldn't do without it overnight.  Finally, the pediatrician had them turn off the monitor Monday night so that we could go home Tuesday.  He said otherwise it could have been another week before he kept his numbers up all night.  (Hospital policy is 24 hours off oxygen before discharge.)  So now we are all home.  Aidan is a little worse and Jordan is still recovering, but happy and playing.  Both are getting breathing treatments, just not on the same schedule.  That is hard at home by myself.  Aidan is still supposed to get breathing treatments at night and is not sleeping well, so we're all exhausted (except for Jordan).  But at least we're all at home together.  I will say this: Children's Hospital took really good care of us and the only better experience I've had at a hospital was on the L&D floor at St. Vincent's.  So anyway.  There is the story.

Here is our tiny little hospital room.  Thankfully, they found us a rocking chair.

So we just put out our blankets and made a play place on the floor.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Poor little guys! I am glad ya'll are doing better. I'm sure that was exhausting!

LJ said...

I'm so glad things are turning around some for y'all. I was hoping to be able to see y'all this weekend, but I've got a little bug of my own that I do NOT want to share with the littles or either one of you, so we'll play it on the safe side. You might get some mail, though. Don't be surprised if everything in the envelope smells like lysol. No chances!

I love y'all and really am just so glad to hear that the little guys are doing better...which is better for you two, too!