The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Thursday, March 19, 2009

2nd UAB Visit

This week is my Spring Break and my sister's (and her kids'), so I spent last weekend in Huntsville with them and then they came down to spend the week with me on Tuesday. While I was in Huntsville, we went to the Botanical Gardens to see their Big Bugs - I will post pictures later. Tuesday I came back to Birmingham because I had a brunch with the new members of the Mothers of Multiples club. It lasted about 2 hours and there were only 5 of us, but it was really nice to talk with ladies who have done it recently or are also about to do it. Very encouraging. :) The girl who hosted it has 11 week old fraternal twin girls and uses a doctor in the same practice as my doctor at St. Vincent's. She had only good things to say about the NICU and their nurses, so that was good to hear. We've done all kinds of things since Sarah and the kids have been in town - I will post about that later, too.

But for now, I just wanted to get the word out about my latest doctors' visits, including my second visit to UAB to check on the twins.

We went to Dr. P’s office this morning. I have gained 5lbs since the last visit three weeks ago and my blood pressure is good. I got into the room and got to speak with Dr. P for about 3 minutes before she got called out of my appt for a delivery. But I didn't have to wait long for them to ask if I wanted to see another doctor and I said yes since the kids were waiting. The doctor who came in to replace her (Dr. Heath, I think) was nice enough and she wrote me an antibiotic for my sinus thing, measured my belly, and did the Doppler to find the heartbeats. One heartbeat was 156 and the other was 142, which she seemed fine with. Sarah and the kids stayed in the waiting room and they were both great. Then we got lunch at McDonald's - kids' choice - and went to the UAB clinic for the high resolution ultrasound. MC was asleep until we got into the ultrasound room and then she woke up, but both kids were great and the doctor and US tech didn’t mind them being there at all. The tech did all the measuring, but couldn’t get Baby A to roll over so she could get his face. The doctor got called downstairs (it was just my day, I guess) to another set of twins, so while we were waiting the tech came back in. She asked me to roll on my side so that maybe she could see the face better and turned on the 4D! I really don’t like those pictures and wouldn’t pay to have it done, but it was cool to see for free. (I am really sorry that Andrew missed that, being in Belize.) We could still only really see his profile because he wouldn’t put his hand down (he’s consistently the thumb-sucker), but Bryson liked seeing his little ear. It didn’t take long for the doctor to come back in and he was much more personable than the last guy we saw at UAB. He said one baby was 13 oz and the other was 14 oz and that difference was perfectly normal. He said they typically see twin-to-twin transfusion by now and because they haven't, my doctor could easily see me through the rest of the pregnancy. He said they’d be happy to check me again if she suspects it later on or if we need their scans for anything else. So overall, it was a good day at the doctors’ offices, all good news!

Next regular appt is in 3 weeks and we'll have another ultrasound and I'll have to do my glucose test. Most updates about the week later!

1 comment:

Ashleigh Yocom said...

Yay! Glad all went well. I suppose we just had a great week this week huh!?

I am jealous that you're able to hear the hearbeats every three weeks though! I'm seriously having twins next time.

Now, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to "follow" your blog. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?