The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

6 month checkup

Whew!  Today was a little crazy.  Not bad, we just did more than we have in about a week - all in one day!  This morning, we went to get Sheila and headed to Sears Portrait Studio at the Galleria. ... I know, I know!!  I'm a photographer, what am I doing at Sears??  Well, it takes 3 people to get good pictures of twins (especially when they are wobbly at sitting up) and I can't seem to get it done.  And we had coupons.  So we went.  The boys slept on the way there and did great through the photo shoot.  Jordan was himself - friendly & flirty - and Aidan smiled through the second half of it.  It just takes him longer to warm up.  :)  We got some good shots and a LOT of pictures and a pretty good deal.  I probably wouldn't do it again because I'm not all into the backdrops - I like my artsy style better - but at least now we know.  And we have 6 month portraits in case I never get them done.  Oh, and this way, I don't have to go have them printed somewhere.  Jordan was asleep by the time we paid the lady and Aidan was close behind him, so we went down to the food court.  We were able to eat while they slept and then feed them before we had to leave for our 6 month well baby appointment.  **Little side note here: We tried new diapers today - Earth's Best Chlorine Free.  There were on sale at Babies R Us and we had coupons.  They wore them all morning and by the time we got to the doctor's office, they had a little diaper rash.  Aidan almost always has it right where the diaper velcros at the waist, so I didn't think much of it when we changed them.  By the time the doc looked at them 20 mins later, the rash was awful!!  Bright, angry red splotches on both boys (Jordan hardly ever has this problem).  We changed them back into Pampers - thank you, Dr. Stansell for the extra freebies - and by the time we got home, the rash was gone.  No more fancy, expensive Earth's Best diapers.  Moving on.**  Aidan weighed in at 20lbs 3oz and is 27 1/4 inches long - both 90th percentile!  And Jordan is 19lbs 9oz and 27 1/2 inches long - also 90th percentile!  Aidan finally outweighed him!!  But Jordan gained that 1/4 inch on him, so I guess it evens out.  I just find it so funny how they're always neck-and-neck like that.  And Dr. Stansell said early on that if Aidan wasn't spitting up as much, he'd be the same size as Jordan.  Well, now we know - he was right!  And Aidan's reflux is SO much better.  I meant to tell the doctor that, but I forgot.  I really thinks it has cleared up a lot, but when we forget his Zantac, I think it he feels the reflux and it hurts.  So it's probably best we stay on it a little longer.  But at least its under control.  We talked about some dry patches of skin that Aidan has had and got a prescription cream to put on them because cortizone hasn't helped.  His skin is just so sensitive.  Poor little guy.  But Dr. Stansell also said that babies who have skin issues and are already having some kind of breakout will get rashes like that easier - like the skin is just already aggravated - so that could explain the diapers... a little.  We talked about baby food and he gave the go-ahead for any table food as long as they can handle the consistency of it (he said the exception was honey, but I'm sure he meant along with PB, shellfish, etc).  That should make meal times easier for us, for the most part.  We've gotten pretty good at having frozen steamed veggies with our supper, so we can share those with them anyway.  We have made some of our own baby food, too.  It comes out thicker than the Stage 2 store-bought stuff and they handle it just fine.  They now want anything we are eating or drinking and watch us intently when we're eating (and starting today: grab for whatever is on the table that appears to be getting eaten).  Here comes fun!

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow (probably rain with a tiny bit of snow), so hopefully we'll get a picture or two.  It's not really supposed to be fun snow, just yucky rain and maybe ice over night.  We're freezing!!  Staying layered and inside all the time.  It wasn't too awful today and I'm thankful because we hadn't been out of the house, except for church, really since Christmas!!

1 comment:

K.C. said...

20 lbs???? Little Lexie is still weighing in at 15 at nearly 9 months. Though she had been sick the last time she was weighed. We'll see in two weeks, but I know she isn't 20 lbs. Can't wait to see you later this month!