The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

6 weeks old!

And a busy 6 weeks it has been, as you can see from my lack of posts!
Let's get you readers caught up (or at least try):
At two weeks old, both babies started rolling over from tummy to back. I know they shouldn't really be able to and we thought it was just a fluke at first. But they have continued doing it almost daily since then. So we have baby geniuses! They also shouldn't be able to grab things in between their pudgy fists and shove those things into their mouths - but Jordan does that every time he comes unlatched during nursing sessions. Like I said, geniuses. And just in the last week, Jordan has started trying to smile! When we smile at him, he'll raise one corner of his mouth like he's trying to figure out how to do it - so cute! Can't wait for the real thing to come!
I had my postpartum check up with Dr. P and she said everything looked great, including my BP. I got her a Willow Tree figure - the Angel of Miracles. She nearly cried again and gave me a hug that really said a lot. Mama got a picture of her holding both babies.
We had our first cold at 4 weeks. It is just now really clearing up for good, although I'm afraid it may have gone to Aidan's ears. Lots of nights spent sleeping in a recliner holding a baby and lots more trouble nursing because of stuffy noses. Because it wasn't clearing up last week, we went back to the pediatrician (the one we started with left the practice, by the way). The doctor we saw prescribed us some nose drops. What we took home from the pharmacy was an adult version of the drops (they make a pediatric version), although we didn't realize that. Aidan had a reaction to them just 3 hours later. He became inconsolable for an hour and half, then he became lethargic. His temperature dropped so he felt cool to the touch and he started to pale. I talked to the on-call nurse because our pediatrician's office has an afterhours clinic. But that clinic doesn't take premies that are this little, so we went to the ER at Children's downtown. They got us into a triage room right away and 3 doctors saw him within 3 hours and decided it was best to keep him overnight. They did blood work and put him on fluids, but the final diagnosis was ingestion of the drug in the nose drops. Andrew and I sent Jordan home with David and Sheila (Sheila and Adrienne stayed the night at our house and, thankfully, I had some breastmilk stored in the freezer) and we stayed overnight with Aidan. How's that for being thrust into parenthood? Especially after all these weeks of me being the patient and my Mama taking care of me, it was a real eye-opener to be the parent watching people take care of my baby. But he nursed a little every hour over night and was much more himself in the morning. They sent us home around 10 AM. That same pediatrician recommended we get some Delsym and give 1cc at night and 1cc in the morning to both babies for the cough. That box says Do Not Use for children under 4 years of age - it's dextromethorphan, the stuff that knocks out adults. I get sick to my stomach thinking about what could have happened if I'd given my babies the nose drops and that on top.
I did get their one month portraits done, and they are really good, if I do say so myself. :) here are a few












The day we went to Dr. P, we also went by the lactation services and saw a consultant about some pain I've been having. Evidently, I still have a yeast problem, so we've gotten meds for that. But while we were there, the consultant let us weigh the babies on their scales. Aidan was 7 lbs 14 oz and Jordan was 8 lbs 3 oz - both exactly 2 lbs up from birthweight! That's exactly what they're supposed to be gaining, so we're happy about that. As difficult as breastfeeding can be some days (and nights), we clearly doing something right. And you can tell in the pictures, Jordan has become quite the fatty and Aidan is close behind him - very healthy little boys!

No comments: