Since I haven't blogged much lately, I'm going to give you the rundown of why and how how holiday season went in a quick (probably not) little post.
The boys did really well with the Christmas tree, for the most part. We put it up while they were awake, but just the tree itself at first. It was an old tree of my great-aunt's, probably 45 years old. The kind that is just a wooden pole that you stick the branches into - kind looked like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree! It really wasn't that bad, it's the same tree we've always used & the one I used in my college apartment. Perfect for showing off a small amount of ornaments. So the boys "helped" us put it together and then we put the lights on while they napped. I also hung all the breakable ornaments and the ones that I really care most about, leaving the bottom branches empty. When they got up, we let them "help" us hang the soft, non-breakable ornaments on the bottom few rows. They loved looking that ornaments and were pretty good about not taking them off the tree. I think the tree lasted about 2 weeks. See... I left a little walk-space beside the tree because I knew they'd want to see it from all sides possible (they mostly laid underneath and looked up at the lights). But one day Jordan went behind it & was probably reaching for an ornament and lost his balance. He pushed it over. Thankfully, no one was under it. I really was afraid at first that Jordan was under it, but then I saw him in the corner looking scared. Just a few ornaments broke, but it was a mess! One was a big glass ball that just shattered. So anyway, that was the end of the old tree & we went without the rest of the month. It kind of took a lot of the spirit out of me, not having many other lights in the house. But we ended up not having much a Christmas, so it didn't really matter!
The weekend before Christmas was my extended family get-together in Huntsville. I had been sick just before we went, but it was just a 12 hour bug or something. So Saturday the 18th, we had a church Christmas function downtown (here) at lunch where we gave gifts to less fortunate families and had lunch with them. We left at the boys naptime and headed to Huntsville. We had a great meal and gift time for the kids (although, I forgot that all my "aunt" Pat makes is roast beef and I couldn't have it! made for a sad meal for me). Our boys got some big dinosaurs, a dinosaur book, and a fishing puzzle/game - all of which they love! We stayed until bedtime and then headed home. The boys did great.
The boys had gotten the runny noses and we'd started doing a couple of breathing treatments a day, just to make sure nothing got too bad. But Aidan just kept coughing and sleeping in our bed. On the 23rd in the middle of the night, I woke up to him wheezing and wimpering try to take breaths. When I got him good and awake, his breathing was making a whistling noise. So I took him to the ER at Children's & we stayed in the ER until lunch the next day. He had 3 breathing treatments & never got his O2 sats up enough to please the docs. So he was admitted on Christmas Eve. Some swee friends from small group brought Aidan a few toys & some snacks and then Andrew came up for a couple of hours. Aidan was really good the whole time, but just a little freaked about the hospital room, O2 sat monitor & cord, and oxygen cannula (the nose tubes). He got breathing treatments every 3 hours and we did actually get some sleep, but he was still sleeping on top of me. Andrew brought Jordan up there Christmas morning because we really didn't think we'd get to leave for a few more days (his numbers weren't very good & usually they require kids to be off oxygen 24 hours before discharge). But our fabulous pediatrician (we love all 3 in the practice) came by and said we were capable of doing everything he needed at home, minus oxygen. So we were home by lunch on Christmas Day! We were very thankful for that & we got to spend a quiet day together at home. Andrew and I just had a couple of gifts for them. We were sad to miss Christmas with my family & my dad's family that day. But home is better than hospital. So we continued treatments and meds and A recovered pretty quickly.
Well you know who got sick next. Probably 2 days after Christmas, Jordan started looking worse. Now he was sleeping with us instead of Aidan. I took him into the ped office on Thursday & they were not pleased with his numbers there. Our doc knew we needed to be admitted, but said the hospital was full (!!). So J got 2 treatments in the office & a dose of steroid. We had to pull a crazy night of 6 breathing treatments from 5pm to 4am (not a lot of sleep for me & Andrew, but there hadn't been lately anyway) and go back in the next day. On Friday, the doc was much happier with how he sounded and looked, but he was still a sick boy. He is much better now, but still on 4 treatments a day.
Saturday was Andrew's sister's wedding. Adrienne had wanted our boys to be ring bearers & I had made them john-johns. Wasn't going to happen! We were all so sad that they couldn't be in the wedding, but they got to visit with my parents who graciously offered to come and keep them during all the festivities. They came up Friday afternoon so Andrew & I could go to the rehearsal dinner, which was a lot of fun. They kept them Saturday during the wedding & brought them to us toward the end of the reception. But Aidan started running a fever again that afternoon. They did really well with all the craziness this past weekend, but we could tell they still weren't 100% themselves. They still really aren't. Jordan is still on the meds and Aidan looks like he might need them again. We see the doc AGAIN on Thursday. :) It's supposed to be well-child visits - we'll see!
So that is our month in review. That's why I haven't blogged, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment