The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

All About Twins

Since this has been the topic of discussion all day at work, here is the best link I found with info about twins.
http://www.babiestoday.com/articles/multiples/twins-2818/

I've been making sure I understand the difference between identical (monozygotic - what we have) and fraternal (dizygotic) and what each means for the babies. My families have never had any natural twins that Andrew's or my parents were around to experience. Our babies came from one fertilized egg that split. This is simply an act of God, it is not genetic and it is really amazing because I was not on fertility drugs. They share a placenta and an amniotic sac, but are divided by a membrane wall. The fact that they are separated is extremely important because there is no chance of intanglement with the two umbilical cords. However, the babies sharing a placenta can still cause twin-to-twin transfusion, where blood vessels can connect between babies and cause them to share blood. This is what causes different size babies. It can cause serious risks for the smaller baby. More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-to-twin_transfusion_syndrome

I must say (as sad as it would be) that there is the possibility that we will lose one due to the fact that they are sharing a placenta, but are separated - especially since there is one small one at this point. But God is in control and I'm not going to worry. I'm just going to learn all I can and try to prepare! And make friends with the other multiples moms at church. :) The doctor did say that there are a few other reason they would measure differently in size at this point and they are still so tiny that it is hard to say what the reason is for sure. We will certainly know more after a few visits to UAB high res ultrasound. For now, we are just trying to take it all in and enjoy this double blessing! Prayers are appreciated. :)

No comments: