The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Monday, July 6, 2009

Thursday - One week old!

Well. What a week.

This post was originally written on Monday - I have tweaked it to fit the present, forgive me for holes in the details.


We're parents, as Andrew has stated. And we're thankful to God that we went in to be induced last Thursday (at 36 weeks) like we did. My blood pressure just skyrocketted - the other signs we missed were headaches, swelling that wouldn't go down, pain in my right lower ribs (where some feet were, also), and my seeing stars in the shower Wednesday night. I remember everything right up to the point I started seizing the first time. I don't remember delivery, which makes me sad, and I remember very little else about Thursday. I know I went through a couple ICUs, had an MRI, and ended up in Surgical ICU. That day and Friday were not good days - I didn't feel well, didn't want to eat and could only be seen during visiting hours. It was a really horrible transition from excited about being able to labor and deliver vaginally straight to being alone in ICU with very fuzzy images of what happened and the inability to see my babies. They actually took me over to NICU once, but I got very nauseated and had to leave before I could even touch Jordan. Definitely not the ideal way for things to go, but we are certainly glad that we're all here and relatively healthy.
On Saturday, they brought me back to L & D and they took excellent care of me there. All the nurses we'd had before stopped by to see our one sweet baby and ask about the other. It was extremely hard to visit Jordan in the NICU the first couple times and leave him in there in that isolet with those sad glasses on under the Bili-lite. But he got so much stronger after I was able to hold him a couple of times; I can't help believing that my being able to hold him helped him get his breathing under control. And it was a huge step when Monday he was only hooked up only to watch his heart and Andrew got to feed him from a bottle for the first of his bottle feedings. It helped me so much to be able to go in there and hold him for as long as I wanted. We went to visit him Tuesday morning in the NICU and happened to see the Neonatologist who said that Jordan was ready to leave! That was a great relief. It all turned around in about a day. It was amazing. So they discharged Aidan and me and then charged the L & D room we were in to Jordan, so that we could all stay one more night at the hospital together. We were so happy to all get to come home together - God answers prayers! I think He has proved that through all of this.
My blood pressure continued bouncing around quite a bit until Monday. It may not settled down for a couple weeks, too, but it is still getting lower every time. They gave me meds for it Monday, but decided it wasn't necessary to continue them. I saw Dr. P today and she was pleased with my BP, so I'll go back in 4 weeks.

We see our pediatrician for the first time tomorrow morning, so I'll have more updating to do tomorrow or Saturday.

Our first night here at home was rough, just as expected. Hopefully we'll continue to work out a system of nighttime feedings over the next couple days and weeks. Here are some pictures.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so amazed to watch God's work and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing him in action in your life. From the positive prego test, finding out they're actually twins (!), taking it easy, bed rest, hospital stays and thru the delivery...He's awesome. Job well done ;-)

Let me know as soon as I'm allowed to come love on (remember I'll have two munchkins of my own with me) those two precious angels you get to call sons!

Love,
Annette

Ashleigh Yocom said...

Everything sounds so scary. Gramma had Eclampsia with her first son (she woke up with Dr.'s pushing him out of her. Apparently a c-section was not an option at the time because it was more dangerous to the baby than vaginal) and was in a coma for 19 days! I was so scared for you when I found out how downhill things went. Regardless I'm so glad all is well. I can't wait to see more pics... I haven't seen enough yet!

Kathy Posey said...

God does answer prayers!! The first night home can always be shakey, and I can't imagine having two! You are twice is super, mom!

Bruce & Sarah said...

What beautiful babies! I am so happy you're all home and doing well.

Laura said...

We are so glad you are okay! And we cannot wait to get our hands on those sweet boys! Please feel free to call me ANYTIME you need to vent, cry, complain, etc. I've (kind of) been where you are in the last year, and I'll (kind of) be able to relate.

I will let you know when we're coming to town, so then you can let me know when it will be best for us to come visit.

P.S. I'm a bit confused...the ticker on yor blog (which I love the new layout) says you're 37 weeks and 6 days pregnant. There isn't another one still in there, is there? :o)