Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Asa Joel
Asa Joel
Sunday October 23
11:53am
8lbs 13oz
21.5inches
The story: Saturday, Andrew and I took the boys to the zoo. It's a ton of walking and lots of hills, so I was hoping it would speed labor along - and it did! I felt very normal the rest of the day, though. Around 11:30pm, I woke up with an upset stomach and bad nausea. I was up for probably an hour with a few hard contractions and then went back to sleep. I woke up a little after 1am feeling the same way. When I laid back down, the contractions got harder - 10 minutes apart. I woke Andrew up on the third one because I couldn't handle the pain of the contractions in my back. I got up out of bed and they got closer together - like 4 minutes apart. I knew this had to be real! We talked to the on-call nurse in Labor & Delivery (Andrew talked, I couldn't talk) who said to come on in. I tried my hardest to talk Andrew through what we needed to take while not falling on the floor in pain. :) Thankfully, my bag was already packed. Our sweet neighbor came to stay with the boys and off we went. On the way, the contractions went to every 2 minutes ... I thought I was going to die from the pain. When they first checked me, I was still a loose 1cm and 80% effaced. I was devastated!! I couldn't believe what a wimp I felt like, but all the pain was in my back. So the OB on call said to admit me around 5:30 or 6 and I got some pain meds that just made me feel drunk. They did mostly take the edge off the pain. We got in a room around 7, I think and I got the epidural around 8am. Right after that, I was 3cm and they broke my water (I changed to 4cm then). Less than 2 hours later, I was at 6cm and an hour after that it was time to push! I couldn't believe how fast it went. I think we started pushing shortly after 11am and it didn't take even an hour to get Asa out. He was much bigger than the OB and nurse thought he'd be!
I had wanted this whole time to go into labor on my own so that I'd have a chance at a VBAC. I'm so thankful that God gave me this opportunity. I had a million reasons for not wanting to be cut open again and, after just a few days of recovery, I can say I feel very justified in ALL of those reasons!! I'm still amazed at how fast he came and how fast we got to come home. Asa is such a sweet blessing and Aidan & Jordan are really doing pretty well with having him here (it's still early, though!). More pictures later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Congras! I am so glad you were able to have the birth you wanted.
You are not a wimp! With the first two I stayed at home as long as I could and didn't get the epi until 5 or 6 cm. With Colin I labored all night in extreme pain at home and went in and was only 2cm. I sobbed in front of the doctor and told him I couldn't survive this. He stripped my membranes and sent me walking for 2 hours. 2 hours of walking of sobbing and I was only a 3. He admitted me and gave me the epidural. I really feel like I could have had the other 2 without meds, but not Colin with the back labor. That is an entire other thing!
Hope y'all are settling in nicely! Have to come see him soon.
Post a Comment