The theif comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Zoo

Today was our first real trip to the zoo!  I haven't been to our local zoo in years and I remember it being a little sad and outdated.  But I had heard a new section just opened and Andrew's mom is on Spring Break, so we went!  The boys had a blast!  Like any little boys, mine love animals.  Big animals, little animals, any living & moving creature.

 Macaws

 Kangaroos
 pretty Black Swans
 Monkeys!

 playing the djembes! (African drums)
 Zebras (or as Aidan says, "beezras")
 Giraffes
 Fish
 up close and personal
Why is there a tractor at the zoo, you ask?  Because we live in Alabama, I say.  And it was right next to the petting area (stinky goats and such).
The newest area is calls Trails of Africa, so we got to see an elephant pretty close up.  This zoo's elephants died a few years ago and, evidently, they've been without them since.  Now they have 2 and have 2 more coming this spring/summer.  The new Africa section made me miss Animal Kingdom so much!!  (I worked at DisneyWorld for a semester in college.  Fan.tas.tic.)  They had good music playing and a new kids' play area, complete with new cafe and tables in the giant tiki hut.  That's where the drums were, too.  We rode the train, which the boys loved, of course.  And we even got a few free tokens from a friend we saw, so we rode the carousel, too.  It was kind of an expensive day because we bought lunch there - didn't want to carry lunch around with us - and we didn't take the stoller in, so the boys did a LOT of walking!  They're sleeping soundly as I type.  I think a membership would be fabulous for this summer!

No comments: